Supporting low-carbon/low-energy Alpine lifestyle and business model
Changing lifestyles and business models towards climate-neutrality brings along specific challenges in the Alps: longer travel distances, lower population densities with specific building structures, supply of regional products, etc.
The transition towards climate-neutral and climate-resilient Alps will require a change in behavioural patterns, lifestyles and business models, especially to support energy savings. To create an impact, all stakeholders and the civil society need to support the energy transition – but they are, in many cases, still unaware of the need for action or reluctant to change.
Awareness raising campaigns and tools as well as a stronger involvement of the civil society in decision making processes, focusing on the specific challenges of the energy transition in the Alps, will create a broader awareness on the need for action and can trigger specific activities at private level.
Sequence of implementation steps:
Step 1: Compilation of toolboxes to support low-carbon/low-energy lifestyles and business models (2021-2022)
- Online calculator for Alpine carbon footprint
- Calculator for product footprints, including comparison between Alpine and non-Alpine products
- Tools for energy auditing schemes at regional level (e.g., based on results of the CEASEAR project (ARPAF))
Toolbox for measures
In each Alpine country, 3-5 pilot regions/municipalities are identified to test the acceptance and impacts of support measures focusing on behavioural change and low-carbon/low-energy business models (e.g., based on the experiences of the 100max project)
- Local and regional administrations as well as SMEs for implementing pilot actions as well as for assessing needs for climate governance
- Compilation of toolboxes for Alpine households and SMEs to recognize their climate impact and to identify options for individual action.
- Identification of 3-5 pilot regions/municipalities in each Alpine country which will test the toolbox.
- Number of specific tools implemented in the toolbox
- Number of pilot projects implemented
- Citizens: 100max project (stock-taking No. 50)
- All projects implemented by the Alpine mountaineering clubs (stock-taking No. 61-64)
- SMEs: EUSALP AG9: Enhance Energy Efficiency in Alpine Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, incl. CAESAR project